HOME  I I  HI TECH NEWS  I SPORTS I CONTACT

 
   
   
  Michigan Women’s Prison Deaths Spark Outcry, Trigger Multiple Investigations

Jean Davis - Local/State
Tell Us Detroit News Bureau

ANN ARBOR. MI - Two deaths within four days at Michigan’s only women’s prison are intensifying scrutiny of the facility’s medical care, living conditions, and oversight, prompting calls for independent investigations and renewed legislative attention.

The deaths occurred at the Women’s Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Washtenaw County, where 28-year-old Khaira Howard died on May 14 while housed in a medical observation cell. According to the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC), Howard’s death came less than two weeks before her scheduled parole release.

Attorneys representing Howard’s family say troubling details have begun to emerge from other inmates who witnessed or had knowledge of her final days. Her legal team reports receiving multiple accounts alleging lapses in care and delayed medical attention. Howard’s attorney said her physical condition deteriorated sharply in the weeks leading up to her death, noting that she had repeatedly raised concerns about inadequate medical treatment. By the end of her life, she had reportedly become wheelchair-bound, signaling a rapid and severe decline in health.

Just four days later, on May 18, a second inmate, 57-year-old Rebecca Fackler, also died at the same facility. Fackler, who had underlying health issues including diabetes and had recently undergone surgery, reportedly sought medical attention on the day she died. According to the law firm Todd Flood Law, which is now investigating both cases, initial reports suggest Fackler may have been denied access to the prison’s health care unit despite her condition.

The back-to-back deaths have heightened concerns among inmates and their families, as well as state officials. State Rep. Laurie Pohutsky, a Democrat from Livonia and member of the Michigan House Oversight Committee, said the incidents have created a climate of fear within the prison. She criticized corrections officials for what she described as a lack of urgency and accountability in addressing longstanding issues at the facility.

Pohutsky previously presented findings to the Oversight Committee in February detailing allegations of widespread mold contamination, poor ventilation, and inadequate medical services at the prison — concerns that advocates argue may be directly linked to declining inmate health. Those warnings, she noted, came months before the recent deaths.

Howard’s family is now calling for an independent, external investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death, as well as broader systemic reforms. They have specifically pointed to reports of mold in the prison’s ventilation system, which inmates and advocates claim has contributed to chronic respiratory and other health problems.

Both deaths remain under active investigation by the MDOC, which has not publicly disclosed causes of death. Todd Flood Law is also conducting its own inquiry. The firm is already involved in ongoing litigation against the state, representing more than 900 current and former inmates in a separate lawsuit alleging that corrections staff improperly used body-worn cameras to record strip searches and other private moments.

As investigations continue, advocates and lawmakers say the deaths may represent deeper systemic failures at the facility, raising urgent questions about inmate safety, medical oversight, and the state’s responsibility to those in its custody.













 

                      

 
 

All Rights Reserved   2003-2026 Tell Us USA
Disclaimer  Policy Statement
Site Powered By Tell Us Worldwide Media Company - Detroit, Michigan. USA